Saturday, August 30, 2014

WHAT WILL THEY REMEMBER ABOUT US

We all desire to leave a legacy behind, something that our family and our friends will remember about us when we are gone. Yet, what will they remember? I look at my own children and wonder will they remember how much I love them, how much I love Jesus, or will they remember all of my mistakes, the times when I lost my temper, or taught them the wrong things? I look at my sister and see how for years now, her memory has been slipping away to Alzheimer disease, and so desperately I try to look beyond this a see who she used to be. I remember laughing, trips, sharing the word of God with one another, in fact she is the very one who lead me to Jesus Christ, for that one thing is enough to always be grateful. She has always supported me and loved me and yes corrected me.
These things have been on my mind as I have been reflecting on the lesson for the children in the morning. It is found in Acts 9:36-43 it is the account of a lady, much loved and appreciated, by the name of Dorcas who found herself sick and died. Look at her legacy:

Acts 9:36b,39-41 This woman was full of good works and charitable deeds which she did. 39. Then Peter arose and went with them. When he had come, they brought him to the upper room. And all the widows stood by him weeping, showing the tunics and garments which Dorcas had made while she was with them. But Peter put them all out, and knelt down and prayed. And turning to the body he said, Tabitha, arise, And she opened her eyes, and when she saw Peter she sat up. Then he gave her his hand and lifted her up; and when he had called the saints and widows, he presented her alive.

God had placed in Dorcas' life the ability to sew, then He gifted her to be a server one who would use her God given skills and ability to bless others. These people whom she had cared for the widows, loved and respected her, they were grieving that she was no longer with them. Then God heard their cries, He heard Peter's prayer, and He responded and He raised Dorcas from death. What a legacy she had left for others to see, and now see how God received the glory and reading on in verse 42 many believed and were saved when they heard how God raised Dorcas up from the dead,

Ephesians 2:10 For we are His workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared beforehand that we should walk in them
 
 
I remember Queen Esther and how her legacy was to save the nation of Israel. So many more mentioned over and over again in the scriptures whose legacy continues even today. 
 
 
Esther 4:14b and 16b Yet who knows whether you have come to the kingdom for such a time as this? 16b and if I perish, I perish!
 
 
The words spoken to her about her purpose in the kingdom and her response back to it, is the step of faith that saved a nation.

We are all created to be what Jesus has called us to be, we all have been given abilities, gifts and callings on our lives that we may do the good works that He has prepared for us. So what Legacy are we leaving for the next generation to see in us?

Perhaps, as humans we focus too much on we think people should be doing, what we think people should be like, look like and act like, instead we need to be focusing on who Jesus has said they are, what He says they need to be doing!!

For my sister, her legacy to me is very personal, she shared her faith and I received salvation, I choose to remember her love for Jesus, for her family, for our mother and for me.

But what my own family sees in me, I pray they see Jesus Christ living in me and through me. My legacy for the next generation is still in the process. So I pray that I will be who Jesus has called me to be and that I will share my faith with others. Desiring to please God the Father more than myself, using the abilities, gifts and callings He has placed on my life to glorify Him and to help others.

Just some thoughts this morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment